Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kayaking

I've been trying to decide why I like kayaking so much. Today as I floated down the river I thought of a few of the reasons. I think the most wonderful part is that I can enjoy nature without leaving any impact on it. I use the power of the water and my own strength to see things that I can't see from the road. I love to explore little inlets and streams off the beaten path of the river.
The next thing I enjoy is being with friends and family. It is a great way to talk to your kids quietly about things they want to talk about and things you want to talk about. It's a good place to listen. We have laughed so hard, sometimes, that we've almost dumped ourselves out. Each kayaking buddy becomes a captive audience member because they can't go anywhere. You're stuck right there - no where to go but downstream.
The last thing I thought of today is that the rivers are beautiful. There are times, like when the magnificent Tetons are framed between the trees and the sky is so blue, that you wish you had your camera to capture the beauty. But then again, sometimes, you think, "Guess you got to be here." It can almost be a "reverent beauty" that takes your breath away, lifts your spirit, and prepares you for the world off the water. I find a sort of rejuventation on the water. I'm so grateful that I can experience it. And even more grateful that I have friends and family to share it with!

No comments: