Friday, August 22, 2008

A Final Big Splash


Last Saturday I decided to take my mother-in-law (a one-time kayaker), sister-in-law (a real-novice), two teenagers, and another sister-in-law kayaking down the Teton River just above the dam site. I had done the run one time previously and thought it was really fun but not too difficult. Knowing that we would have company I thought this would be the perfect place to kayak. I learned a lot that day.


One my mother-in-law is very young for her age and the coolest grandma around. I think she mentioned along the way to be sure it is stated in her funeral that at 73 years she kayaked down the Teton. Yes, she fell out and nearly froze to death (ok not really but she was very cold) but what a trooper she was. After she was told to keep out of the water she didn't fall in again. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.


The other lesson I learned is that depending upon your point of view the very same thing can look entirely different. As a mere participant and kayaking for fun, without any responsibility, the river seemed very easy and fun. When I was in charge and responsible for everyone's safety, the river seemed to change completely. I began looking for the easiest passes - not the most exciting. It was quite dangerous.


I also learned to wear my life jacket. There are some rivers that I have always thought didn't require the jacket. I could swim to the side or stand up without any difficulty. But, I felt very strongly that I should wear the jacket on Saturday's trip. I hadn't thought I needed it on this river before. But, when I began diving into the rapids to save people and equipment I realized that the safety device wasn't just for me, but it was for others too. I would never have stayed afloat without it. It was exhausting to be the rescuer and without it the results of the trip would have been very different.


Now that a week has passed, the bruises and scrapes are healing, and I can't remember all the trauma, I see it as a great adventure. The view is fantastic. Once again, a blessing of kayaking is seeing the sights not viewed from the road.




No comments: