Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Busy Time of Life

I feel like I am rushing around, never stopping, and not accomplishing anything. We recently were told that we had to move out of our classrooms and into our new classrooms. I'm so excited for the new rooms. They are beautiful and with all the stuff I don't have, they should continue to be beautiful. But, this will happen this week and next. We were planning for the end of May. The move has also bumped up our state testing, which everything hinges on. Three weeks shouldn't make that much difference but it does. Along with all the other chaos, rumors, wars, and rumors of wars within the district I am thoroughly stressed out.

The fun thing has been purging my room. I inherited the room and the stuff that came with it. Today I threw out 5 garbage cans of stuff. I don't really know what else to call it. I've given away over a hundred books to the kids - not used so much in the classroom. I've given away posters, including 3 Presidential posters that ended with George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Figured those could go. I found beakers and test tubes (with dried up spiders) and many other things that brought quizzical glances from the students. I also catalogued all the books I've purchased - 386 of them. I truly can say that my room is dejunked. If I haven't used it in 4 years and I haven't heard of the teacher whose name appears on it, toss it out. That's been a good rule for me. I hope some of my fellow teachers can adopt this same philosophy.

So, when all this stress has passed and I am organized, you are all welcome to come see my new room. It should be a breath of fresh air.

Oh, and I forgot Tasty Tuesdays. Sorry Summer!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Can you come purge my house? You are really good at it and I want it to feel "refreshing"!!!

You speak like a true teacher.

thorkgal said...

Your OLD room was a breath of fresh air compared to some I visited while IRI-ing.

Robin Grant said...

Thank you thorkgal. Having you at the school was a delight. Why don't you move on over sometime? Toni and I would have a blast with you there.

Diane said...

I can't imagine all the work it would take to move everything over. I guess the good thing is that when you are set up again, you'll feel great and organized! Good luck!