Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Day of Thanks

Adrienne Grant, age 11
Blowing out the candles while the cousins look on.


Kathrynn Grant, age 11
What would we do without Grandma's cakes to put candles on?


Adri and Katy
aka The Twins, Twinners, Girlies, Kadri

I spent the day thinking about the twins. Adi and Katy turned 11 years old. They have been so excited for their birthday to come. I'm always excited for their birthday to come - just wasn't so excited about their "birth day." This is the day that I reflect on that day.


Looking at the twins today - tall, happy, healthy, active - you would never imagine what their beginning was like. As I was sorting laundry, eleven years ago today, I felt what I assumed were fake labor pains. I was almost 27 weeks along in a pregnancy that had been full of surprises, especially the announcement that we were having twins. I had never had any kind of fake labor with the other pregnancies so I didn't question them. But, after about two hours and the pain increasing to the point that I couldn't walk, I decided to visit the doctor. Trent met me at the hospital and we were immediately put on the monitor. My greatest fears were realized when the doctor told us that the twins were on their way. There was nothing we could do to stop them. So, arrangements were made to send the twins, after delivery, to Primary Children's Hospital. Two helicopters made their way to the hospital in Soda Springs and then rushed our two little girls away. I was able to see, hear and touch Katy but only caught a brief glimpse of Adri (all blue) before they were taken away. Each girl weighed in at just under 2 pounds. Their heads were smaller than my fist and their arms were so skinny that Trent's wedding ring fit up to their shoulders. For nearly two months they fought for life. They received a marvelous blessing from their grandpa that promised them they would run and play just like all the other kids. People all over the world prayed for them daily. And we waited and watched in awe as they grew and surprised us all once again with their strength and ability to defy the odds.


Today we have two beautiful happy girls that "run and play just like all the other kids." And so today, as I do every year, I say thank you to many people. Thanks to a wise doctor who knew he was way over his head and sent our girls to doctors and staff with the knowledge to help them. Thanks to family and friends around the world who prayed for them with great faith. Thanks to a dear husband who lifted and supported me in my rollercoaster of emotions (we were good together) and gave a blessing to a tiny baby girl before she left in a helicopter. Thanks to an unknown "Elder" who answered the call to give a stranger's baby girl a priesthood blessing away from home. Thanks for another priesthood blessing that I put all my trust and faith in. Thanks to two older children who somehow understood that I was needed somewhere else and have forgiven me for not being with them that summer. Thanks to our parents who sacrificed so much to help us then and for years to come. Thanks to two baby girls who fought for every single breath for weeks and every single pound for months. And thanks to my Father in Heaven who brought these two bundles of joy into our lives in such an unusual but marvelous way and answered all of our prayers.


Happy birthday Girlies!!!!!!
We LOVE you.





3 comments:

Summer said...

Wow, I just got chills reading that. It's so wonderful to have the gospel in our lives and for the comfort it brings in hard trying times. Thanks for sharing that story and you do have two beautiful girls!

Emily said...

They truly are miracle babies. I remember you calling me and telling me you had your twins and I thought you were joking. They are the only babies I've ever visited at Primary Children's so I think of them often. Do you remember how ridiculously huge Jessica looked next to them in the crib??? They were only a week apart but what a difference 27 and 41 weeks make! So glad you truly get to see them run and play like other children and celebrate 11 years of breathing!

thorkgal said...

Awe, that brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing.