Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sweet 16

Can you say that about a boy? Collin turned 16 today. He is a sweet boy. I can't believe that he has been around that long. The day before he was born I spoke in Sacrament Meeting. We had just moved to a new ward and so I told them I was due to have a baby in a couple weeks. Afterward, several of the older ladies came up and said, "Oh honey, you won't have that baby for at least a month." That statement and the fear of speaking must have caused too much stress because that next morning he arrived.

I remember bringing him home from the hospital, holding him in my arms, and wondering, "What do I do now?" Well, we seemed to have figured it out ok, doing well at some things and not so well at others. But together we are figuring it out. He is a great kid! In his honor I've decided to write "16 Great Things About Collin."
1. Full of energy - zoom, zoom, zoom. He doesn't stayed bored for too long.
2. Has never needed a lot of sleep - not so bad now but at 1 and 3 years old this was difficult.
3. Always wakes up cheery - no matter how little sleep he has had.
4. Champion of the underdog.
5 Smart - but doesn't want too many people to know it.
6. Very dependable - and I love that he has his driver's license and can be counted on to help.
7. Star saxophonist - if you haven't heard him you should. The tongue slap is way cool!
8. Positive influence - high school vice-principal is always assuring me of this. Whew!
9. Funny - I think he's funny. His sisters think he's weird.
10. Adventurous - i.e. scuba diving, kayaking, white-water rafting.
11. Great conversationalist - he always has something to talk about and will with anyone.
12. Hard worker.
13. Loves his grandparents - and so respectful of them.
14. Has a strong testimony of the Gospel.
15. An amazing and broad imagination - remember when I thought he didn't have one at all, Trent?
16. A shoulder of support for anyone who needs it.


So, happy birthday Buddy. We sure love you and are grateful to have you in our lives. Thanks for all you do to make our family happy and fun.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yay Happy Birthday, Collin! He sounds absolutely perfect. You guys are great parents and lucky to have such a good young man for a son! My clearest memories are of Collin when he was what, 3 and 4 years old? He was smart and talkative then, too! Just a bigger version now, huh?

p.s. Any dates yet?

thorkgal said...

Don't blink... he'll be on a mission before you know it.