Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Simple Pleasures


Here is my list of simple pleasures. I've named it that because the list consists of things that don't take a lot of effort but bring me a lot of joy. Today I was thinking about these happy things while hanging out with the kids and a cousin.










Simple Pleasure #1 Fun Family - especially cousins this week. We've had so much fun with Kendrick here. My kids have tried to show him the "redneck" lifestyle. I didn't think we were rednecks. Kendrick probably does. We love to be with our cousins - even if it means huckleberrying in the woods!







Simple Pleasure #2 Gardens that Grow. This growing season we have really had the produce. I've never thought too highly of my green thumb (outside raspberries) or horse manure but combine them together and it is beautiful!









Simple Pleasure #3 Glorious Giggles. I used to think the sound of babies giggling was music to my ears. But, my favorite sound in the world is the hysterical laughing of my now older children when they are truly having fun.










Simple Pleasure #4 Super Summer Vacation. I'm so grateful that I changed my major from accounting to education so that I could have the summers to spend with my children. We have so much fun. I always plan to clean the house and catch up on all the things I pushed aside during the school year but it never happens. We like to play too much.
Simple Pleasure #5 Small Towns. I love walking down the road and waving to the people I know or waving at the people I don't know. I love talking to people at the grocery store everytime I go. I love sending my kids out for walks with the dog and not worrying about their safety. And I love that people are always watching out for my kids while they are out and about.

Simple Pleasure #6 Rivers. I'm not sure that I even knew that there were rivers around me growing up. How did I miss all this fun? What were my parents thinking? I love the sounds, the look, and the feel of the river. I don't like the taste.


Just a small list but hey, my thoughts are pretty small.

3 comments:

G Bjorn Thorkelson said...

From small and simple things... comes something great. I love it!

Emily said...

Anyone who uses words like horse manure, rivers, and huckleberries..... MIGHT be considered a redneck. Just sayin'. You are such a good mom. Can you come raise my kids in the summer so I can get things organized over the summer?

I think your simple pleasures are perfectly in balance and are EXACTLY what makes life grand.

Summer said...

This is my first year planting a garden and canning. Thats such a great simple pleasure. You gotta love the simple things in life!