Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summer Vacation Part 2

Since we, I mean "I", had so much fun on an early morning walk the day before, I decided to do it again. This time, I dragged Trent and Kenna out with me. We drove to Seal Rock which had a lot of  rocks and was sure to produce fantastic tide pools. We were not disappointed. I sure wish Adri and Katy had come with us. They love sleep and didn't seem to feel bad about missing it.





After tide pool hunting, we had breakfast and got ready for the day. Today we were heading south. Waldport is said to be "where the forest meets the sea" and it is true. All those beautiful green trees, ferns, and flowers go right up to the ocean water from Waldport south. Amazing! I loved it. If it hadn't been so cold, I would have stuck my head out the window and breathed that beautiful air. But, I hate it when my nostrils freeze together. 

We visited "Devil's Churn" and the Sea Lion Cave. We also stopped at Heceta Head Lighthouse but had so much fun on the beach that we didn't hike up to the lighthouse.

This is Devil's Churn. The water comes rushing in here, crashes against the walls of the little gorge,  create a large deep booming sound and swirl out of control. This is not a swimming hole.
The waves also crash onto people if you are close enough. Get closer girls!
The Sea Lion Cave is in interestingly touristy type place. I was wearing my Chicago sweatshirt and this ticket lady was from the Chicago area. She gave us a great discount because Trent told her he had lived there.  It was nice to see but not really worth the money, even with the discount. Plus, it stinks in there!  That smell will stay with me for a long time.


This is the view out of the Sea Lion Cave. It was beautiful to look out there.

Next we stopped at Heceta Head beach. It was a perfect place to be. There is also a beautiful creek that runs out of the mountains and into the ocean. It is COLD. We also wanted Collin to know that we missed him and were thinking of him.



One more day of exploration down and five exhausted explorers headed home. We crashed into bed after another walk on our beach. I truly do love this place.

















No comments: