Saturday, August 30, 2008

AMAZING!

What amazes me most about this time of year is how fast the the year has gone. How can it possibly be that I'm now in the full canning season when it seems that the garden was just planted?

Today we drove to Island Park so our daughter could join her friend's family camping. As we came down the Ashton hill and I looked out into the valley, I couldn't believe the sharp contrast in colors. Just weeks ago, it seems like, everything was green and fresh and beautiful. Today the valley was full of golds and dust from the harvesters cutting grain. Once the grain is cut then it is potato harvest and then its over. Life gets a sudden jolt as the snows begin to fly. I'm not ready for that.

Cooler temperatures aren't all that bad. In fact, I believe we are right at the ideal temperature season in East Idaho. We are still about 85 degrees during the day but the nights cool down to the low 40s. That makes for very pleasant sleeping. However, my classroom is still reaching the mid 80s before the students leave. I can't wait for the new building and its central air.

Got the cast removed this week so we went swimming at Fall River. Katy immediately jumped right into the water. She popped out of the water with the biggest grin on her face and her giggles were loud enough to echo off the rock walls. That was a great moment. Sure glad I was there for it! The water is still quite high. In fact, it is higher now than I've seen it at the end of June or beginning of July. Besides being high it is still freezing cold. That means there must be a lot of fresh runoff still coming. AMAZING!

This is a picture of our swimming hole on the Fall River. It is always beautiful.

No comments: