Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Under Construction

The school I teach at is currently under construction. We have greatly needed a bigger school or less students. But since our population continues to climb slowly the first option seemed the best. So, toward the end of winter, during the last school year, the noise began. Don't get me wrong. I am so grateful for what we will have that I hardly notice it. But, today, a very bright student, having thought things over, said, "Mrs. Grant, do you mean to tell me that we will have to deal with all this noise for the rest of our lives here at this school (we are a K-3 school) and we won't ever be able to enjoy the smell of the new school?" I looked him squarely in the eye and said, "Yip! Isn't it the pits?"

I've been thinking about that today. I think that happens so often in our lives. We work so hard to do all we are supposed to, avoiding and dealing with the noise and distractions all around us, and what do we get for it, usually nothing but the satisfaction of knowing we survived. Yip, isn't that the pits!

2nd graders are so smart.

No comments: