Monday, September 22, 2008

Northern Exposure


I remember watching the show on TV called Northern Exposure. The only thing I really remember was a moose walking down the street during the opening credits. I thought about that tonight as I was running on the track at the high school and a moose came to observe us. It was dusk and so it was hard to see him. I looked toward the stands and thought I was seeing a saddled up horse walking in the bleachers. Upon a bit closer look, not too close however, I noticed that "horse" was wearing a giant moose antler disguise. I knew that most stores weren't selling those yet and so I knew it was a real moose. Quietly and quickly my girls and I slipped from the track and out the gate. I had to finish my running in my neighborhood where there seem to be no street lights and every sidewalk has a surprise section that is higher than the next waiting to trip you.


I love moose. I think they are so interesting to look at. I'd take a closer look if they weren't so grumpy. I have often wondered if moose are the compilation of all the left over animal parts. Perhaps God looked over all the boxes of leftover parts and thought, "I bet I can make a truly interesting animal with all these parts." The moose, knowing that it is just "parts", feels inferior and that is why he's so ornery. I wonder if the platypus feels the same way.


By the way, a topic for another day: Why is it so hard to get into a good habit and so easy to get into a bad habit? Specifically exercise and eating. That is what I was thinking about before the moose interrupted my thoughts.

No comments: