Thursday, December 18, 2008

They Just Keep Growing!

Despite my efforts to keep my children small, they just keep growing. I really don't feel like I should have children this old. In fact, my current age, as calculated on one of those "what is your real age" websites, is really only 14. So, how could I have a child older than me?
I have begun to feel old lately - at least mentally. My students at school are now calling me "Grandma," by mistake I'm sure. I remember doing that to my teachers but they were old. I remember one teacher that was at least 90 when I had her. I saw her about two months ago, in the store - not the obituaries, and she is still driving on her own. How can that be?
Our son, Collin, just recently got his drivers license. If I didn't feel old before, I do now. And not only do I feel it, I look it. Do you know how many gray hairs you get when your son takes the car to early morning jazz band practice when there is snow on the road? I probably should start coloring. That's why my students are calling me old.
Our daughter, McKenna, just attended her first "fancy" dress dance. She's in 7th grade. We had to buy the dress and everything. She even took her hair out of the ever present ponytail for the occasion. That's another reason I feel older - dress shopping with a girl who only likes basketball shorts and skate shoes. Bring on another bottle of color. I need it!

No comments: