Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow? or Snow!


I've been thinking about snow lately. I guess that is what happens when it keeps falling and you keep shoveling. Winter was once my very favorite time of the year. But, as I have gotten older I've come to recognize the pitfalls of snow. Shoveling everyday is not fun. However, shoveling that first snow of the year, when you only need a coat and a light mittens, and the smell of the neighbors wood burning stove is lingering in the air, can be priceless. Even in January, when there's been snow on the ground for two months, i can enjoy shoveling if the snow is big and fluffy. Shoveling when it is 5 below zero is not fun!

Our dog loves snow. He's so big and furry that the snow clings to him and probably cools him down to just the right temperature, the only time all year. My kids love to play outside with him. I love to watch them from the window. But, the snow balls and ice that come inside with them is a big pain as it melts.

Christmas without snow doesn't seem right. All the best Christmas cards show snow. So how do you have Christmas without it? But, I can't get my shopping done because the snow just keeps falling. How do you have Christmas without a little shopping?

Snow. Should I take it or leave it?

No comments: