Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a Birthday Bash!

Yes, today is my birthday. The big 39. Although 39 doesn't really feel any different than twenty nine which didn't feel different than 19. Aside from a few gray hairs, creaky knees, flab rolls, and laugh lines, I feel as I always have. As far as birthdays go, it was different, however. Today was also the inauguration of Barack Obama. At school we had a little Inauguration Celebration. My poor class has heard about elections and inaugurations since September. It came to a completion today. The 2nd grade celebrated by having a pizza party for lunch and watching the events on TV. One of my very cute, but not so bright students said, "Mrs. Grant, why don't they do a parade for your birthday every year?" And another student, who is very quick, and very bright said, "Because if they did she would become too conceited." Tee Hee. I thought that it was funny. I think most of them understand that the speeches and parades really have nothing to do with my birthday.
We had a fun day and we were grateful to be part of that history. My kids loved it and I assume that by the time the next election comes around, they will be so smart about the process and the events. I can't wait to talk to their 6th grade teachers.
I remember the inaugurations of Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and W. Bush. Those are all important parts of my birthdays. It is fun to have those memories and parts of history be a small bit of my birthday.

No comments: