Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The South Fremont Jazz band recently took a trip to Denver and then Greely, Colorado to participate in a Jazz Band Festival. It was a much bigger festival than anyone expected and the band, who are considered to be a fairly big fish in our little pond, found themselves to be a little fish in a much bigger lake. Despite the freezing, cold, rainy, winter-like weather, the trip was a blast. They did respectfully well and came back better musicians. That's all that counts really.

The best part was that Collin, who hates to solo, was forced to do a MAJOR solo because he is the only baritone sax player and that's what the music called for. So, though he didn't want to, he did - and he was fantastic. He never practices. I mean never. I don't know if I can emphasize that enough. NEVER!!!! I listened to him and wondered what would be if.... He received a special award at the festival for excellent soloing. We haven't seen the award yet. I'm sure it is somewhere between here and there, along with his brand new and expensive dress shoes. But, unlike the shoes, we do know that the award exists.

Last week, the band performed a concert. I couldn't wait to hear the solo. Trent's parents drove all the way up from Utah to watch and weren't disappointed. The band is really good. I could listen to them all day. But, Collin's solo (click on the red words for solo) was definitely award winning. I was impressed. It was worth blogging about. You'll enjoy it too. The trumpet soloist is our good friend Connar Moore. He was great too. But, I'm partial to the bari sax - nicknamed Big Bertha.

No comments: