Sunday, June 20, 2010

Camping With the Girls

One of the things I loved growing up was Girls Camp. Some of my favorite memories come from the yearly activity. We were spoiled. We camped at Rock Creek Girls Camp in the Targhee/Caribou Forest just outside the western boundary of Yellowstone National Park. It is beautiful ... and posh (for camping). There are A-frame cabins with electricity and refrigerators for sleeping. There is a bathroom with showers, flushing toilets, and hot water. There's an unheated swimming pool. There's a stage with a sound system and benches surrounding a fire pit. It is the ideal place for girls to spend a week. I loved it then and I love it even more now.
Our stake just returned from a week at Rock Creek. Early June is not the ideal time to go. But, you take what you can get. There's a pretty high demand for its poshness. We experienced wind, rain, wind, rain, thunder, lightning, rain, SNOW!!, and 20 degree temperatures. But, many prayers were answered and when we needed the weather to cooperate it did.


My favorite thing about girls camp this year was being with my three girls. I loved popping into their ward's cabin to check on them, give them hugs and kisses at night, and watch them participate in different activities. They didn't need me and that was ok. But, if they had, I would have been there. I had the most children at camp. Weird. I suppose I will for several more years to come. And hopefully we'll be there together for all those years.

Life is Good. Really, really good.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are so LUCKY you got to go to girl's camp! Seriously! I practically beg and never get to go. I could pass on the snow and rain and 20 degree temps, but who cares when you get to share that with your girls??
btw, Jessica's first year of camp and they turned it into a one day camp. lame.
p.s. the farm my kids are working at is just a few blocks from our house on the border of bountiful and centerville. sweet, huh? you farm girl you!

Heidi and Steven said...

It's so funny that you mention girls' camp! I was just describing our girls' camp to Missy and Kimmy on the drive THREE HOURS up to their camp! I only went our first year--but I was giving them great horror stories of the Bevan girl cutting her foot open with the ax, how they got our hike messed up a bit and we were out WAY longer than planned and all the other fun stuff LOL! After that year I was working every summer and couldn't make it--but still had plenty of stories to make them laugh!