Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Raucous Caucus

I can't truly feel good about declaring myself a full Republican or a full Democrat. I'm probably a middle-of-the-road type of girl. I guess that could be considered Independent. When I hear "Independent" it makes me think of those crazy-looney political weirdos and I definitely don't want to think of myself as that nor do I want anyone to think that I might be one of them. But, in the spirit of the season, I decided to become a "Republican" so I could cast my vote (gold plastic coin thingy) into my candidate's box (I hope that isn't being dishonest). I went with a friend because Trent just couldn't do it. I took my friend and co-worker Betty with me.

I had researched the caucus process and thought it sounded like a kick.I had been given the advice to go early and plan to stay late. We went about an hour early and the place was NUTS. At 7:00 we all gathered in the gymnasium for instructions and pep-talks from each candidate's representative. Thank goodness there was a 3 minute time limit. Who wants to listen to that stuff? Then the big moment arrived. We would all be given one vote. We would drop it in the box of our choice (not secret at all). Then the votes would be counted and reported to us. The candidate with the fewest votes would be thrown out along with any candidate under 15% of the votes. Then we would vote again until one candidate had 50% or more of the votes.


The anticipation was killing us (not really but we had a good time laughing about it). When the votes (plastic leprechaun gold coins, I think) were counted there would be no need to vote again. Romney had won by a landslide with like 88% or something. So, we got to go home.

I enjoyed the whole process. It was fun to be part of history - the first Caucus to be held in Idaho. It was fun to think that the candidates cared about our votes (not necessarily my little plastic coin but our coins as a whole in Idaho) - a first in my lifetime. It was fun to socialize with lots of people that I don't see often. I'm glad I went. It was a raucous party!!!

Life is Good - and the freedom to vote in a fair election is a blessing. (Sorry all you people living in Russia and Iran.)

No comments: