Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Today is the birthday of one of my favorite people in the whole world. When I was a young child I spent every afternoon with him. I learned many things from him. I learned not to judge people. I learned respect. I saw examples of getting along with others and finding a solution using compromise. I learned to accept others' differences. I learned to enjoy puppets and trolleys (I still want to ride a trolley because of this.)I probably even got my love of cardigans from him - I wear one nearly every day. He was also the only thing that could draw me away from my favorite pretend family- The Brady Bunch. This man was a great influence on me.

In 2003 Mr. Fred Rogers died of cancer. I was running on the treadmill (I used to exercise), watching Headline News, when I heard the announcement. I truly felt that the world was less good. I think that at that moment one of the greats was gone. Well, it has been ten years since his death and I still miss him. Recently I came across an article about his life and influence. I inhaled it. I remember the clips. I wanted to post it, on his birthday, as a reminder of all the good things he taught. He was a GREAT MAN!

Life is Good - and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was a great part of my life.

1 comment:

thorkgal said...

I was just thinking about him the other day, when I was singing that song in class. The sad part is, none of the kids knew that song or knew of Mr. Rogers.
I can attest to the fact that the world has "less goodness". I remember a statement by him saying, he just wanted to be a friendly face and a safe place for a child even for just a half and hour a day.
Now kids have FB and Twitter...sad.