Wednesday, December 30, 2009

More Camera Fun

Today my sister, Cristy, and her family came to visit us (because I asked her to.) She lives about 2 blocks away. We have been planning for her to come teach me how to make bread since she moved here. Finally, seven months later, we did it.
Cristy worked at a bakery for years and is really good at all kinds of baking. Her rolls are always light and fluffy. Her bread is beautiful and looks like it came from a store. Her cookies are not only always delicious, but they look fantastic. I suppose that's why I've given up cookie making - her's are always better. When the twins walk home from school, they knock on my classroom window, say hi, and then go to Cristy's to see what baked goods she has to eat.
Today was my turn to bake. Together we made three loaves of light wheat and one loaf of cinnamon/raisin swirl. It was so much fun and the bread turned out lovely! It also tastes good.
Because we had fresh bread, and we have newly fallen snow, it was necessary to whip up some homemade chicken noodle soup. Cristy showed me how to make homemade noodles, too. (Cristy didn't learn that at the bakery. She learned it from my mom. I should have paid more attention to her cooking. But, I always planned to have a maid to do the cooking - like on the Brady Bunch. That hasn't happened YET.) Yummy!!!
Then I had to do a little camera practice. My camera has a setting (and two pages in the manual) dedicated to photographing "Food." Isn't that weird? Food doesn't even move. Nevertheless, I read up on it and think that I am quite good at it - at least it is in focus. So, here is a picture of the bread I made taken in "Food" mode. I'm sure that it looks completely different than a picture that I would have taken in "Portrait" mode. Whew, I'm glad I figure that out. My life is closer to becoming complete.

3 comments:

Emily said...

My life is closer to being complete because you taught me about FOOD mode, too. Never heard of it! No wonder my food pictures look so unrealistic (either that or I'm no good at making the food look good in the first place!)

Lucky your sister lives nearby and can teach you. Maybe SHE could just be your "Alice".

Tracie said...

YAY! Great work!!! It looks like a pro made and photographed it!!!

thorkgal said...

I'm impressed. I didn't learn those skills either (bread making), and sadly I have no future plans to acquire them. You're my hero.