Thursday, October 6, 2011

Time with the Girls

As I continue my catching up posts, I throw this one in, messing up the order of things, because we had such a good time. One nice thing about Harvest Break is that we all seem to be under the weather with some kind of crud that we got from school. The two week break gives us a chance to get over it all. Since no one was feeling great, and it was rainy, we spent time in the kitchen together. McKenna needed a salad for a team dinner, Katy needed cookies for her soccer game, and we just happened to have pink cupcakes that needed frosted. We laughed and talked and had a marvelous time. We'd do it again, except, we really don't need that much junk food around. Today has brought more rain and will bring more time together and so more fun, fun, fun.
Aren't these cute? 




Pink frosting, pink mint wafers (Pepto tablets would have worked even better but didn't seem right), smushed strawberry Starburts, and black frosting were all that was needed. We tried different tails but couldn't make it look right.

I also wanted to post THE BEST chocolate cookie recipe ever. My friend, Toni, gave me this recipe. It was her mom's recipe and she had gotten it from the Parker School cafeteria. We LOVE it. They stay soft and are even wonderful right out of the freezer. Try them and let me know what you think.

GRANDMA BONNIE HAWKES' FAMOUS YUMMY COOKIES
4 cups DARK brown sugar (must be dark)
1 1/4 cups butter (don't use margarine)
6 eggs
6 cups flour (I usually have to add 1/2 to 3/4 cups more)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soda
3 tsp vanilla
coconut (I use about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I use the whole package. The more chocolate, the better.)

Cream sugar and butter. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and slowly add to sugar mix. Add coconut and chocolate chips. Bake 375 degrees for 12 minutes.


Life is Good - and kitchens are a great place to build memories.

No comments: